profile

Salmon Theory

🍣 You need self-awareness, not self-aggrandisement

Published 13 days ago • 1 min read

What's your superpower?

This is a question we ask often in the world of strategy. It's not a bad question. I wonder if it's misleading.

A superpower feels grandiose. But also inherited. It's something you had little control over. If anything, you can channel it.

A superpower also feels single-minded. It's why so many of us use this this analogy. Own one thing. Then execute it over and over.

However. There are many ways to be the hero in your story. Superpowers are one version of events.

I prefer a different analogy: the utility belt.

Less Clark Kent, more Bruce Wayne. Sure, you inherited the family fortune, but you channelled it to build things.

“You can either experience the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The choice is yours.” Unknown

To build a utility belt requires discipline. Experimentation. Having ok results 90% of the time, so the remaining 10% can kick ass.

One of the great tools in my utility belt? Books. Cliché, . But not just strategy books. Boring. No, any book that give me shortcuts.

Books on philosophy. Psychotherapy. On occasion, poetry. Stuff that cultivates greater self-awareness, not self-aggrandisement.

Books that don't feel too complicated. That cut through. Complicated books are an author's problem, not a reader's problem.

This is why i started Sunday Strategy Shortcuts. I wanted to give you a utility belt. Especially if you're stretched for time.

To the hundreds who've subscribed already – thank you. If you haven't, please consider joining us.

Salmon Theory

By Rob Estreitinho

Short tasty morsels to sharpen your marketing.

Share this page